Alicia Sit joined as a Research Associate at NRC in September 2023. She received her BSc (Honours) with a specialization in Physics-Mathematics in 2017, followed by her MSc (2019) and PhD (2023), all from the University of Ottawa. During her studies, her research focused on demonstrating high-dimensional quantum cryptographic protocols with structured light through various quantum channels – including fiber, free-space, and underwater – both inside and outside the laboratory environment.
Beyond research, Alicia enjoys all things artsy and crafty, such as painting and sewing. She also loves to garden and dabble in baking.
- Manuel F Ferrer-Garcia, Alessio D’Errico, Hugo Larocque, Alicia Sit, Ebrahim Karimi “Polychromatic electric field knots,” Physical Review Research 3, 033226 (2021).
- F. Bouchard, A. Sit, Y. Zhang, R. Fickler, F. M. Miatto, Y. Yao, F. Sciarrino, E. Karimi “Two-photon interference: the Hong-Ou-Mandel effect,” Reports on Progress in Physics 84, 012402 (2020).
- F. Hufnagel, A. Sit, F. Bouchard, Y. Zhang, D. England, K. Heshami, B. J. Sussman, E. Karimi “Investigation of underwater quantum channels in a 30 meter flume tank using structured photons,” New Journal of Physics 22, 093074 (2020).
- F. Hufnagel, A. Sit, F. Grenapin, F. Bouchard, K. Heshami, D. England, Y. Zhang, B. J. Sussman, R. W. Boyd, G. Leuchs, E. Karimi “Characterization of an underwater channel for quantum communications in the Ottawa River,” Optics Express 27, 26346 (2019).
- F. Bouchard, F. Hufnagel, D. Koutný, A. Abbas, A. Sit, K. Heshami, R. Fickler, E. Karimi “Quantum process tomography of a high-dimensional quantum communication channel,” Quantum 3, 138 (2019).
- Matteo Zanfrognini, Enzo Rotunno, Stefano Frabboni, Alicia Sit, Ebrahim Karimi, Ulrich Hohenester, Vincenzo Grillo “Orbital angular momentum and energy loss characterization of plasmonic excitations in metallic nanostructures in TEM,” ACS Photonics 6, 620 (2019).
- F. Nejadsattari, Y. Zhang, F. Bouchard, H. Larocque, A. Sit, E. Cohen, R. Fickler, E. Karimi “Experimental realization of wave-packet dynamics in cyclic quantum walks,” Optica 6, 174 (2019).
- Y. Zhang, A. Sit, F. Bouchard, H. Larocque, F. Grenapin, E. Cohen, A. C. Elitzur, J. L. Harden, R. W. Boyd, E. Karimi “Interaction-free ghost-imaging of structured objects,” Optics Express 27, 2212 (2019).
- A. Sit, R. Fickler, F. Alsaiari, F. Bouchard, H. Larocque, P. Gregg, L. Yan, R. W. Boyd, S. Ramachandran, E. Karimi “Quantum cryptography with structured photons through a vortex fiber,” Optics Letters 43, 4108 (2018).
- F. Bouchard, A. Sit, F. Hufnagel, A. Abbas, Y. Zhang, K. Heshami, R. Fickler, C. Marquardt, G. Leuchs, E. Karimi “Quantum cryptography with twisted photons through an outdoor underwater channel,” Optics Express 26, 22563 (2018).
- F. Bouchard, A. Sit, K. Heshami, R. Fickler, E. Karimi “Round-robin differential-phase-shift quantum key distribution with twisted photons,” Physical Review A 98, 010301 (2018).
- M T Runyon, C H Nacke, A Sit, M Granados-Baez, L Giner, J S Lundeen “Implementation of nearly arbitrary spatially varying polarization transformations: an in-principle lossless approach using spatial light modulators,” Applied Optics 57, 5769 (2018).
- Brandi West, Sarah Rodriguez Castillo, Alicia Sit, Sabria Mohamad, Bethany Lowe, Christine Joblin, Andras Bodi, Paul M Mayer “Unimolecular reaction energies for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon ions,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 20, 7195 (2018).
- A. Sit, F. Bouchard, R. Fickler, J. Gagnon-Bischoff, H. Larocque, K. Heshami, D. Elser, C. Peuntinger, K. Günthner, B. Heim, C. Marquardt, G. Leuchs, R. W. Boyd, E. Karimi “High-dimensional intracity quantum cryptography with structured photons,” Optica 4, 1006 (2017).
- Alicia Sit, Lambert Giner, Ebrahim Karimi, Jeff S Lundeen “General lossless spatial polarization transformations,” Journal of Optics 19, 094003 (2017).
- Erfan Mafakheri, Amir H Tavabi, P-H Lu, Roberto Balboni, Federico Venturi, Claudia Menozzi, Gian Carlo Gazzadi, Stefano Frabboni, Alicia Sit, Rafal E Dunin-Borkowski, Ebrahim Karimi, Vincenzo Grillo “Realization of electron vortices with large orbital angular momentum using miniature holograms fabricated by electron beam lithography,” Applied Physics Letters 110, 9 (2017).
- Shaan Rashid, Alicia Sit, Brandi West, Paul M Mayer “Colliding the hydrocarbon building blocks of astrochemical polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons with 8 keV and ions: Luminescence from methane, acetylene, benzene and naphthalene,” Chemical Physics Letters 667, 19 (2017).
- H. Larocque, F. Bouchard, V. Grillo, A. Sit, S. Frabboni, R. E. Dunin-Borkowski, M. J. Padgett, R. W. Boyd, E. Karimi “Nondestructive measurement of orbital angular momentum for an electron beam,” Physical Review Letters 117, 154801 (2016).
- Brandi West, Alicia Sit, Andras Bodi, Patrick Hemberger, Paul M Mayer “Dissociative Photoionization and Threshold Photoelectron Spectra of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Fragments: An Imaging Photoelectron Photoion Coincidence (iPEPICO) Study of Four Substituted Benzene Radical Cations,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry A 118, 11226 (2014).
- Brandi West, Alicia Sit, Sabria Mohamed, Christine Joblin, Valerie Blanchet, Andras Bodi, Paul M Mayer “Dissociation of the anthracene radical cation: a comparative look at iPEPICO and collision-induced dissociation mass spectrometry results,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry A 118, 9870 (2014).