Ramy joined the NRC in the spring of 2023 as a Research Associate and is very passionate about research and discovery. He completed his BSc (Honours) in Physics, with a specialty in nuclear physics, from the University of Saskatchewan in 2016. He then completed a MSc (2018) and PhD (2023) in Physics with a specialty in quantum information at the Institute for Quantum Computing (IQC) of the University of Waterloo. There, his research focused on developing quantum communication hardware and protocols, specifically for free-space links. He was also a technical lead on the development of the quantum sources and optical ground station for the Quantum Encryption and Science satellite mission. Generally, his research expertise is in quantum optics, quantum networks, and photon detection. He also has experience in additive manufacturing, telescope systems, and flexure design for opto-mechanical systems.
Ramy has many interests beyond the lab, including ultimate, cycling, hiking, cooking, and a good Sci-fi series. He also enjoys science outreach and was a significant contributor to the IQC outreach efforts, where he conducted many class visits, public lectures, and science demonstrations.
- Simon Carrier, Michel Labrecque-Dias, Ramy Tannous, Pascal Gendron, Frédéric Nolet, Nicolas Roy, Tommy Rossignol, Frédéric Vachon, Samuel Parent, Thomas Jennewein, Serge Charlebois, Jean-François Pratte “Towards a Multi-Pixel Photon-to-Digital Converter for Time-Bin Quantum Key Distribution,” Sensors 23, 3376 (2023).
- Ian DSouza, Jean-Philippe Bourgoin, Brendon L Higgins, Jin Gyu Lim, Ramy Tannous, Sascha Agne, Brian Moffat, Vadim Makarov, Thomas Jennewein “Repeated radiation damage and thermal annealing of avalanche photodiodes,” EPJ Quantum Technology 8, 13 (2021).
- Mengyu Xie, Youn Seok Lee, Ramy Tannous, Gui-Lu Long, Thomas Jennewein “Roles of fiber birefringence and Raman scattering in the spontaneous four-wave mixing process through birefringent fibers,” Optics Express 29, 31348 (2021).
- Youn Seok Lee, Mengyu Xie, Ramy Tannous, Thomas Jennewein “Sagnac-type entangled photon source using only conventional polarization optics,” Quantum Science and Technology 6, 025004 (2021).
- Jeongwan Jin, Jean-Philippe Bourgoin, Ramy Tannous, Sascha Agne, Christopher J Pugh, Katanya B Kuntz, Brendon L Higgins, Thomas Jennewein “Genuine time-bin-encoded quantum key distribution over a turbulent depolarizing free-space channel,” Optics Express 27, 37214 (2019).
- Ramy Tannous, Zhangdong Ye, Jeongwan Jin, Katanya B Kuntz, Norbert Lütkenhaus, Thomas Jennewein “Demonstration of a 6 state-4 state reference frame independent channel for quantum key distribution,” Applied Physics Letters 115, 211103 (2019).
- Chary Rangacharyulu, Christine K Roh, Ramy Tannous, James S Welsh “(P106) The Gray Has Got to Go! Inadequacies in the Current Units of Absorbed Dose,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 98, E44 (2017).
- C Rangacharyulu, R Tannous, CK Roh, JK Kim, JH Park, SD Yang “Single isotopes for combined positron emission tomography/single photon emission computed tomography imaging,” Journal of Radiation and Cancer Research 7, 30 (2016).